Serves 8, 4 ounces cooked chicken per serving
- 2 pounds boneless chicken pieces
- 3 cups cornflakes cereal
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup nonfat milk
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3 medium bowls
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Food thermometer
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Remove skin, if any, from chicken pieces. If working with large chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise for faster cooking time. Trim any excess fat.
3. In a medium bowl, crush cornflakes.
4. In a second medium bowl, mix flour, salt, and black pepper.
5. In a third medium bowl, add eggs and milk. Beat with a fork.
6. Dip each chicken piece into flour, then egg mixture, then cornflakes. Each piece should be fully coated with flakes.
7. Coat baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken pieces on sheet, evenly spaced. Spray pieces lightly with cooking spray.
8. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- For extra flavor, add ½ to 1 teaspoon of spices, such as paprika, chili powder, dried thyme, rosemary, or oregano, to salt and pepper to season chicken.
- For lowest price, use a whole chicken and cut into parts.
- To crush cornflakes easily, place in bowl and crush using the bottom of a measuring cup. Or, place in a large zip-top plastic bag and crush using your fists or the bottom of a measuring cup.
- If using bone-in chicken, adjust cooking time to 35–40 minutes. Be sure it still reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F. If cornflake crust starts browning too much before chicken is fully cooked, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Serve with a colorful vegetable or fruit side dish. Try Sweet Potato Fries, Sauteed Greens, Orange Glazed Carrots, or Fruit Salad.