Serves 12, 3 cookies per serving
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons nonfat milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup of “mix-ins,” such as chopped dried fruit, chocolate chips, or chopped nuts
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Baking sheet
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Sharp knife
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut butter stick in half. Soften at room temperature. Or, place in a microwavesafe bowl. Heat in microwave for 10–15 seconds to soften. Be careful not to melt butter.
3. In a large bowl, blend butter, white sugar, and brown sugar, using a rubber spatula or fork. Mix until light and creamy.
4. Crack egg into bowl. Add milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
5. Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix until just blended. Do not overmix.
6. Add rolled oats and “mix-ins.” Mix until all ingredients are blended.
7. Lightly coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
8. Scoop 1 Tablespoon of dough per cookie. Use your hands to shape dough into a ball. Place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
9. Bake until cookies are lightly browned on bottom, about 8–10 minutes. Remove from oven. Let sit 2–3 minutes to firm up before removing from baking sheet. Let cool.
10. Repeat steps 7–9 until all cookies are baked.
- Cookies may take more or less time to become lightly browned depending on your oven. Watch closely so they do not burn.