Serves 6, ¾ cup per serving
- 6 medium carrots
- ½ small onion
- 1 large lemon
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dark or golden raisins
- 2 small bowls
- Box grater
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
1. Rinse and peel carrots and onion.
2. Shred carrots with a grater. Dice onion.
3. Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
4. In a medium bowl, combine carrots and onions.
5. In a second small bowl, combine oil, curry powder, salt, pepper, and 2 Tablespoons of the lemon juice. Mix well. Let marinate 5 minutes.
6. Pour liquid mixture over carrots and onions. Stir in raisins. Mix well.
- Replace half of the carrot with grated jicama or apples.
- For best taste, allow flavors to blend before serving. Let sit 15–20 minutes after you have mixed in the sauce in step 6.
- Serve as a colorful side dish for fish, poached chicken, or baked or broiled chicken legs.
- Layer onto a sandwich with lean turkey and fresh veggies like cucumber.