Serves 12, 1 mozzarella stick per serving
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 (8-ounce) chunk part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- ¾ teaspoon dried basil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 2 small bowls
- Baking sheet
- Can opener
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Small skillet
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Cut mozzarella chunk in half. Then, cut each half into about
6 sticks. While you prepare remaining ingredients, freeze mozzarella sticks at least 20 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, whisk eggs with a fork until well blended.
5. In a second small bowl, mix breadcrumbs with ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon dried basil, and ½ teaspoon dried parsley.
6. Dip each frozen mozzarella stick into beaten egg mixture, then into seasoned breadcrumbs. Repeat once more until each stick is coated well.
7. Place breaded mozzarella sticks on baking sheet. Spray them lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Bake until lightly browned, about 5–8 minutes.
8. In a small skillet, add tomato sauce and remaining ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon dried basil, and ¼ teaspoon dried parsley. Stir to combine. Warm over low heat while mozzarella sticks are baking.
9. Serve mozzarella sticks with warmed tomato sauce.
- String cheese may have a better unit price than mozzarella in chunk form.
- The cheese may ooze through the coating as the sticks bake. While still warm, gently press melted cheese back into the stick. It will harden as it cools down.
- Instead of using canned tomato sauce, make your own.