Join our 2019 Impact Council!
Impact Council Position Description
Did you know that cost and food skills education are the largest barriers for low-income families to access healthy food? And that one in six children in Colorado is at risk of hunger? Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters and No Kid Hungry campaigns work to end hunger and poverty. Cooking Matters is ending childhood hunger by helping families make healthy food choices. Our programs help parents and caregivers struggling with limited food budgets learn how to shop for and cook healthy, affordable meals. Become a member of the Impact Council and help break the barrier for low-income families to access healthy food while raising public awareness and revenue streams that allow all community members to utilize the programs offered.
As a leader on the Impact Council you will help to:
- Build the visibility of the organization to new and diversified audiences
- Help end childhood hunger in Colorado by raising funds that empower families with healthy food and budgeting skills
- Positively impact the lives of individuals, children, and families facing hunger and food insecurity
- Acquire personal and professional development skills Have the opportunity to network and work with a fun, energetic team
What are the Key Responsibilities?
- Attend a Cooking Matters volunteer training within the first three months with intention to volunteer
- Support special events based on interest and availability (minimum of two/year). For example:
- Develop personal list of event invitees and advertise event via social media, WOM, and email
- Lead or participate in a sub-committee (event, communication, social & professional development)
What are the time and financial commitments?
- 2 hours for initial volunteer training to be completed within first three months (by early April) 1-year commitment (with a 3-year term limit), which includes 4 required quarterly meetings support (minimum committment of 2 events per year, 1 as a volunteer), and monthly 30 min, PM calls
- Approx. 5 hours/month: includes committee meetings, event attendee recruitment, periodic special event
- A financial commitment of at least $100 per year contributed or raised What Skill Sets Can You Contribute to the Impact Council?
- Passion for food, nutrition, health, hunger and other issues affecting low-income children in Colorado Interest in building awareness and fundraising through special events
- Ability to work well in teams and represent a cause as a volunteer and steward
- Interest in having fun while helping raise critical funds Willingness to coordinate volunteers and committees supporting events
- Interpersonal and communication skills and orientation towards customer service Strong research, time management, and organizational skills, with attention to detail
- Able to volunteer evenings and weekends as necessary
- Social media visibility and expertise
Annual Cooking Matters Colorado Events
1) Dine Out to End Childhood Hunger When: Nov. 29, 2018
Where: Participating restaurants
What: A portion of proceeds will be donated to Cooking Matters.
Responsibilities include retaining and recruiting restaurants and driving event traffic through special promotions and media leading up to Colorado Gives Day.
2) Chefs Up Front Gala
When: Spring/Summer 2019; volunteering begins at 12PM, event at 5PM, close depends on shift
Where: Colorado Convention Center; 700 14th St, Denver
What: Chefs Up Front caters to 300 attendees, 30 chefs, and dozens of volunteer supporters. At Chefs Up Front, Colorado’s most sought-after chefs will prepare an elaborate meal tableside, for guests, showcasing the style and cuisine of their restaurants. Entrées will be expertly paired with wine selections from around the world.
3) Colfax Marathon (tentative) and/or 10 Barrel Charity of the Month Event
When: Summer 2019
Where: Colfax Avenue
What: Cooking Matters is participating as a non-profit partner in the Colfax Marathon. Our mission is to raise awareness of childhood hunger and the mission of Cooking Matters. Opportunities to run as part of the Cooking Matters team, be part of the Cheer Squad, sponsor a runner, and volunteer at the tent.
Now that you are ready to become a member of the Impact Council for Cooking Matters please request a copy of the application from Senior Development Manager Liz Grossi at firstname.lastname@example.org and return your completed the application by Nov. 2, 2018. New members will be notified by early January, with service to begin mid-January. Cooking Matters thanks you for your interest and is thrilled to welcome new members to the Impact Council.