Serves 16, 3/4 cup per serving
- 1 (16-ounce) package whole grain penne pasta
- 1 medium onion
- ½ pound carrots, or combination of carrots and winter squash
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) package firm tofu
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Box grater
- Cutting board
- Large pot
- Large skillet
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
1. Cook pasta using package directions. Prepare sauce while pasta cooks.
2. Peel and rinse onion.
3. Dice onion into ¼-inch pieces.
4. Rinse, peel, and grate carrots. (If using winter squash, adults should rinse and peel before passing off to children to grate.)
5. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook 5 minutes. Add grated carrots and cook 5 minutes more.
6. Add marinara sauce to vegetables. Drain tofu. Crumble into sauce. Mix well.
7. Raise heat to medium. Cook until sauce begins to simmer, about 7 minutes.
8. Pour in milk. Stir to combine.
9. Pour sauce over cooked, drained pasta. Just before serving, add salt and nutmeg. Stir.
- Look for jarred sauce that does not have added sugar.
- Great winter squash options include butternut, spaghetti, acorn, Hubbard, and delicata.