Serves 9, 3 ounces cooked chicken and 1/2 cup vegetables per serving
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound root vegetables, such as red potatoes, beets, turnips, rutabagas, or parsnips
- 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pounds skinless chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Baking sheet
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife
- Slotted spoon
- Vegetable peeler
- Food thermometer
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Rinse and peel carrots and onion. Peel garlic. Rinse and peel root veggies (if using potatoes, leave the skin on).
3. Cut onion into quarters. Cut each quarter in half. Chop garlic. Dice carrots and other root veggies into ½-inch pieces.
4. Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a large bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
5. Add vegetables, water, oil, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper to bowl. If using rosemary, add now. Toss to combine.
6. Use your hands or a slotted spoon to transfer vegetables to a baking sheet. Leave marinade in the bowl. Place baking sheet in oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
7. While veggies bake, toss chicken in the remaining marinade. Let sit at room temperature about 10 minutes.
8. Remove baking sheet from oven. Add chicken pieces on top of veggies. Return to oven.
9. Continue roasting until chicken is cooked through and a food thermometer reads 165°F, about 40 minutes more. As the chicken roasts, use a mixing spoon to baste chicken and turn vegetables about every 15 minutes. Baste by pouring juices from the baking sheet over the chicken.
10. Serve immediately.
- Try serving over brown rice or whole wheat couscous.
- Use the same method and marinade to roast veggies on their own.
- For a fish and vegetable dinner, top roasted veggies with fillets of seasoned fish in the last 10 minutes of cooking.