Serves 10, 1 cup per serving
- 1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat pasta
- 2 medium onions
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 pounds (1 large bunch) spinach or kale
- 2 (15½-ounce) cans great northern, cannellini, or lima beans
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Can opener
- Cutting board
- Large pot
- Large skillet
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Sharp knife
- Vegetable peeler
1. Cook pasta following package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, rinse, peel, and dice onions and carrot. Peel and mince garlic.
3. Rinse greens, more than once if needed to remove all grit. Remove tough stems. Chop coarsely.
4. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
5. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add garlic, carrot, onion, and greens. Cook until onions are soft.
6. Add ½ cup reserved pasta water and seasonings. Cook until greens are tender.
7. Add beans to greens. If needed, add a little more reserved pasta water to make a sauce.
8. Add cooked pasta to beans and greens. Toss to combine. Cook until pasta is heated through, about 5 more minutes.
- For extra flavor, top with hot sauce or grated Parmesan cheese.
- Use Swiss chard or any of your favorite hearty greens.
- Use olive oil instead of canola oil, if you like.